🏆

“Love the drawing ‘feel’ in 3D with Feather”- Angela Cashay (Featherary Influencer Interview)

Angela Cashay is a creative artist who loves blending 2D with 3D and is one of our most passionate users of Feather.
Thank you to Angela for sincerely joining Featherary and leaving precious reviews of the event on social media platforms. We are honored to award Angela as the “Influencer” of this event and have an interview with her to share with the community.
Monarch Dreams-3D Illustration
We talked about the Featherary 1 day 1 drawing challenge, and her artworks and process.
How did Featherary help your creative journey?
Featherary was a great daily motivator and reminder to find time regularly to practice art or creativity. The weekly room themes and prompts kept me excited every day, and I was excited to see how each week would end. Also, seeing the 3D drawings from other participants kept me inspired.
 Learn more about the Featherary event.
(Click each image to view the drawing in 3D)
Featherary Week 1
Featherary Week 2
Featherary Week 3
Featherary Week 4
Did Featherary also help you develop your skills?
Featherary helped to sharpen my skills. By learning new tricks and ways to use the drawing guides, I was able to draw more objects. The daily drawing practice helped me envision more ways to use guides to turn ideas into 3D drawings. I’m happy I joined the challenge. I learned a lot!
You have been sharing your process online often. Do you think publishing and sharing the work and workflow is important?
Yes, I do. I’m a huge believer in sharing creative processes and techniques. I think it can help motivate and teach others. It can also help spread the word about great programs like Feather 3D. We all have knowledge that we can share with others, and sharing our work and creative process is a great way to do that.
Is there any advice for us to make the challenge better?
Nothing that I can think of. I loved how easy it was to submit our daily drawings and see what others were creating. Great work!
 We would like to know more about your artworks, especially with Feather!
Please introduce your project and how Feather is used in that project.
Two projects showcase a 2D illustrative style with 3D—the “Retro Computer” and the “Disposable cup”. The goal was to create visuals that look like 2D digital art but are 3D models.
Please tell us more about the “Retro Computer” project and the process.
The computer project's theme is retro. I wanted to incorporate that old-school retro visual theme with the computer. The text on the computer screen is animated in a seamless loop.
The retro computer project has a 2D comic-style look, but it is 3D. Cel-shading was used to texture the 3D computer. I used Feather 3D for the bold accent lines. I imported the 3D drawing strokes from Feather into Cinema 4D and merged them with the 3D model. I've been happy with how easy it has been to blend Feather 3D with other projects.
Once I imported the Feather 3D drawing strokes into Cinema 4D, I added materials and a glow effect to emphasize the line work.
1) This shows the 3D model. It is the base cel-shading layer with subtle ambient occlusion.
2) A combination of the 3D model with the cel-shading. Before the Feather 3D lines were added.
3) combines the 3D model, the cel-shading, and the Feather 3D drawing strokes.
Please tell us more about the “Disposable cup” project and the process.
The theme for the disposable cup was an edgy 2D comic-style look.
The disposable cup followed a process similar to that of the Retro Computer. The 3D model was textured in Cinema 4D. I used cel-shading to create a comic-style look. I imported the 3D cup into Feather 3D, where I added details to the cup line contour lines, text, and a label design. I then imported the Feather 3D drawing strokes back into Cinema 4D and merged them with the 3D model.
Ambient occlusion and lighting helped the Feather 3D lines stand out from the cup. Feather was a great way to add bold accents to the cup and a comic-style outline appearance.
This image combines the 3D model, the cel-shading, and the Feather 3D drawing strokes. From left to right  The first cup is the 3D model with cel-shading. The second cup shows the combination of cel-shading with Feather 3D drawing strokes. The third cup shows the drawing strokes that were made in Feather 3D.
This image shows a closeup of the cel-shading from Cinema 4D.
This image shows the 3D model, blended with cel-shading and Feather 3D.
Could you explain more about your style of artworks?
I started as a traditional artist. Eventually, I became immersed in digital illustration and 3D graphics. I fell in love with motion comics, especially when they involved a 3D element. Motion comics were a great way to blend my passion for hand drawings with storytelling and 3D. That inspired me long ago to find ways to blend illustrations with 3D environments.
Blending 2D with 3D can involve a few creative techniques, but my workflow usually involves mixing digital art with 3D renderings. I've created 2D animations from digital drawings and merged them with 3D to add more depth to the scene. I also like creating vertex paintings over 3D models to give 3D scenes a toon shading or illustration look. Another process of mine (shown above) is adding Feather 3D drawing strokes to 3D models. That process involves importing a 3D model into Feather 3D and adding contour or accent lines, text, and patterns. I then imported the Feather 3D drawing strokes into the 3D software to blend them with the 3D model.
How is using Feather different with other techniques?
I started as a traditional artist, so I like whenever I can use my hands to create art, from sketching to painting and digital art. I think Feather 3D has been a great way to have the traditional drawing ”feel” while working in a 3D environment.
I have been searching for a program like Feather for a long time. A program that was easily accessible on a tablet device and allowed me to create 2D-looking illustrations that were 3D. Feather has been a true game-changer in my workflow, and it has opened so many doors to what I can make. The bonus is that it exports as 3D file formats, so I can bring Feather into other programs I use in my workflow, like After Effects, Cinema 4D, Adobe Substance 3D, and Nomad Sculpt.
What is the difference between your processes with Feather?
I like using Feather as a standalone program or blending it with other projects. Feather is awesome when I'm creating comic-style 3D renderings, and I want bold comic-style contour lines. I'll import that 3D model into Feather, add my contour lines, and use those lines to help the 3D model stand out.
Before using Feather, I would use different creative means to create comic-like 3D art. I explored various ways to merge illustration with 3D. I would use camera mapping to project a 2D illustration onto 3D geometry.
I also used texture painting, vertex painting, and cel-shading. I experimented with different ways to merge my hand-drawn sketches and digital drawings with 3D.
I still use some of those same techniques with Feather. I import Feather drawings into 3D software and merge them with other 3D objects. Feather has fit nicely into my workflow, and adding it to my projects has been a pretty seamless transition.
I also use Feather in a lot of standalone projects. I like to create full 3D scenes with Feather similar to what we did for Featherary.
Feather has also been great for 3D note-taking, 3D wireframes, storyboards, 3D concept designs, diagrams, and 3D illustrations. I commonly use Feather 3D exclusively for some of those types of projects. It has become one of my go-to tools.

Monarch Dreams

- 3D Illustration
Monarch Dreams is an example of one of my 3D illustrations drawn with feather.
Some 3D sculpting was done with Nomad Sculpt. Those 3D models were imported into Feather. I made this 3D illustration using 3D object imports and 3D guides made in Feather.
 Sketchfab Link
(be patient; the link takes a few seconds to load )

Decorative Mug + Notes

-3D Illustration
This is an example of a project created exclusively in Feather 3D.
Could you explain in detail where Feather helped you most?
This project was inspired by 90s R&B and a comic book style. I listed some of my favorite artists I listened to growing up (and I still listen to today).
Feather helped me push the comic-style look. I used vertex painting in Nomad Sculpt to create a digital drawing appearance. Feather 3D allowed me to add 3D strokes easily. What I love about using Feather is that I can add the same lines I would normally draw if I were sketching or doing digital art. Being able to be loose with my lines and create 2D-looking drawing lines in 3D is amazing, and it allows me to create a style that I've wanted to create for a long time.
Creating these lines in other programs has sometimes been challenging with my desired workflow. I like using my tablet and pen since it still feels like traditional hand drawings. Feather 3D makes it easy and allows me to bring my traditional art style into 3D environments.
This image shows Feather 3D blended with Nomad Sculpt. The Feather 3D lines were added to Nomad sculpt to add more of a comic-style look and add emphasis to certain areas of the character like her hair.
This image shows Nomad Sculpt without the Feather 3D lines.
What are the tools and methods, both analog and digital, you are using in your creative process?
I'm a traditional artist at heart, so I still grab a sketchbook to draw. I also like using colored pencils, markers, graphite pencils, and paint.
When I go digital, I love Procreate and Clip Studio for digital drawings. I do most of my 3D sculpting in Nomad Sculpt, but I sometimes use Zbrush.
After Effects is a staple program because I love bringing visuals to life with motion. I also like importing 3D files from Feather or Cinema 4D into After Effects to animate.
Cinema 4D is my staple 3D program of choice. I also love Blender, but I use Cinema 4D the most.
I use the Adobe suite from Illustrator and Photoshop to their 3D Substance programs.
I made this image using Cinema 4D and After Effects.
I created this digital art using a traditional hand-drawn concept sketch, Procreate, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
I created this digital drawing using Procreate.
Is there any pain point in the pipeline?
The only pain point in the pipeline is when certain programs read the Feather 3D export as a 3D file without the colors used in Feather. There are usually workarounds, but I sometimes like to import Feather 3D files into other 3D programs and have them look like they do in Feather—the toon-like look. Sometimes, I just have to remove lighting and shadows to get the same look. That is not a Feather-specific problem. It's just how the programs read certain file formats.
Could you tell us what is important in creating 3D graphics, and how 3D creation tools nowadays facilitate or hinder it?
3D graphics are important because they help bring a story or idea to life. There are many 3D creation tools that give creators the ability to tell rich stories or showcase 3D visuals.
What would you like to say to toolmakers like us as one of the creative professionals?
Keep creating these amazing tools! They give creators like me the ability to bring ideas to life and share our ideas around the world.
Could you explain why you explain the works with Feather as “3D Illustration”?
I explain my work with Feather as a "3D Illustration" because using Feather feels like creating drawings. To me, drawing strokes that translate to 3D geometry feels like 3D illustration. As a person who grew up learning many styles of traditional hand-crafted art, being able to keep that feeling of using my hands with a pencil (digital pencil in this case) and not a mouse or buttons to create art feels like 3D illustrations.
Check out more 3D illustrations by Angela Cashay.
 Links to visit

Creative Spark

I've always loved the versatility and endless possibilities of creativity. I was that little girl whom you would always find sneaking off to draw and write. That passion for creativity and storytelling has followed me throughout my life.
I'm a Creative Lead and multidisciplinary artist and designer specializing in blending multiple creative disciplines from illustration, design, 3D, animation, and motion graphics to create compelling designs, illustrations, and videos.

A mission to Help Amplify Others

My mission is to share my creative knowledge with others to help them amplify their creativity and grow their careers. I want to be a creative resource for others to learn and grow.
As a mother, I want my children to look back at my work and feel encouraged. I believe that what we put out in the world should reflect the legacy we want to leave behind. I carry that mindset into every drawing, design, and animation that I create.
Thank you so much for the amazing interview! We hope this interview could be an inspiration to our community.
All sent works are copyrighted and owned solely by the original author.